Place des Vosges


Designed and built in a perfect square over 400 years ago, 
the arcades frame the inner courtyard/park.  
The inauguration of this open air square in 1612 
was witness to the celebration of royals in a double wedding: 
King Louis XIII to Anne of Austria and of his sister Elizabeth to Philip IV of Spain.


The brick and stone design is typically seventeenth century French 
and has been attributed to Louis or Clement Métezauh 
or Jacques Androuet de Cerceau.  

It is amazing that these buildings survived turbulent times relatively intact.  
However, the bronze statue of Louis XIII was melted down by the Revolutionaries 
and replaced two centuries later.



Place des Vosges
75004, Paris

 
Top