Crêpes for la Chandeleur
Fête des Chandelles
(Candlemas in English) 


Today is Candlemas, 2 February, and it is celebrated in France with crêpes.
Yesterday I made crêpes with a seven-year-old 
and an eleven-year-old (supervised by a wild puppy).  
You hold a coin in your left hand and flip the crêpe pan in your right.  
If you can catch the crêpe, 
it means your family will be prosperous for the rest of the year, 
such is the legend.  
If you drop it, the puppy will eat it and you start again
 
 
Pictured above are savory wheat crèpes 
from Crêperie Plougastel which are delicious.  
My helpers and I made the same basic recipe 
of milk, flour, eggs, butter, and a small amount of salt and sugar 
that I have been making since I first learned to cook.  
We will have garlic shrimp crêpes with a bechamel sauce. 
 
 
(miam-miam)
 
 
 
Crêperie Plougastel
47, rue du Montparnasse
75014, Paris
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top