If you have been to Sacré Coeur en juin then you have an understanding of the crowds of people in/around this beautiful basilica. In reviewing my photos after the trip I realized that I opted to take the odd angles and small details rather than capture the rapping street dancers and the replica key chain hawkers. I did manage to capture some interesting people on the steps which I will share at a later time.

The above photo is one of two equestrian bronzes flanking the triple-arched portico. They represent France's national saints, Joan of Arc and King Saint Louis IX, both created by H. Lefebvre. King Louis IX is the only King of France who was canonized, and there have been many places named after this 13th century French king. St. Louis, MO in the United States is the most familiar to me but others include San Luis Potiso, Mexico, and Sao Luis do Maranhao, Brazil.

The detail in the bronze of King Saint Louis IX caught my attention with the spurs, the soft-soled shoes, the gentle drape of his leather cloak, and the filigree of the bridle. The perfect shade of bronze green is just as I snapped it and you may be able to see the bleeding of color onto the light-colored travertine stone base.
(Oh, and that is not a fly on my camera lens but an airplane!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top