The opulence of Palais Garnier defies description.  This tourist shot does at least give one an idea of the scale and size of this Beaux-Arts opera house.  I will be returning here next week to feel the music in every crevice, to imagine the famous dancers who have graced her stage, to appreciate the barely-known architect who created her.

To me it is like so much of Paris.  One cannot truly grasp the whole with a single visit, and I want to see it again with the fresh eyes of my husband who will be making his first trip to Paris.  We will be there next week.

Virginia (Paris Through my Lens), a dear friend and fellow traveler to Paris, sent me a link to this marvelous 25 minute documentary on the story and building of Palais Garnier.  I think that you will not be able to stop once you start.

bon weekend


Palais Garnier
Place de l'Opéra
75009, Paris

(For more Weekend Reflections, click here for James' wonderful collection of participants)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top